Unit 5Assignment: Elasticity of Demand and Consumer Surplus
General Instructions for all Assignments
1. Unless specified differently by your course instructor, save this assignment template to your computer with the following file naming format: Course number_section number_Last_First_unit number
2. At the top of the template, insert the appropriate information: Your Name, Course Number and Section, and the Date
3. Insert your answers below, or in the appropriate space provided for in the question. Your answers should follow APA format with citations to your sources and, at the bottom of your last page, a list of references. Your answers should also be in Standard English with correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, and style (double spaced, in Times New Roman, 12–point, and black font). Respond to questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions.
4. Upload the completed Assignment to the appropriate Dropbox.
5. Any questions about the Assignment, or format questions, should be directed to your course instructor.
In this Assignment, you will calculate the Price Elasticity of Demand, demonstrate a firm understanding of consumer choices based on differing marginal utilities, consumersurplus, and how the buying choice and amount of consumer surplus changes based on various pricing schemes.
In this Assignment, you will be assessed on the following outcome:
AB224-5:Demonstrate how the concept of utility affects purchasing decisions by individuals and consumer surplus.
1. The accompanying table shows the price and monthlydemand for barrels of gosum berries in Gondwanaland.
Price of gosum berries per barrel
Native Demand for gosum berries per month
Using the midpoint method (show your work), calculate the price elasticity of demand when the price of barrel of gosum berries rises from $10 to $20. What does this estimate imply about the price elasticity of demand of gosum berries?
Using the midpoint method (show your work), calculate the price elasticity of demand when the price of barrel of gosum berries rises from $70 to $80. What does this estimate imply about the price elasticity of demand of gosum berries?
Notice that the estimates from (a) and (b) above are different. Why do price elasticity of demand estimates change along the demand curve?
2. Matilda is downloading music and videos from an online site. She is currently buying three music downloads that cost $3 each and two video downloads that also cost $3 each. The table below indicates what she reports as the marginal utility of the last music download and of the last video download in this combination of purchases.
Price per Download
MU per download
As an assignment for her Microeconomics course, Matilda used the marginal utilities that she gave to her 3rd music download and her 2nd video download to complete the Experiment Tally Sheet below.
a. A consumer maximizes utility when the last dollar spent on any good generates the same satisfaction as the last dollar spent on every other good. Is Matilda maximizing her utility? Explain your answer.
b. Should Matilda consume one more video download, to move her closer to her optimum utility?Explain your answer.
c. Should Matilda consume one less music download and one more video download, to move her closer to her optimum utility?Explain your answer.
d. Should Matilda consume one more music download, to move her closer to her optimum utility?Explain your answer.
3. Brandon and his family often rent movies from the new internet movie streaming service, Xanadu. The table below shows Brandon’s demand schedule for eight movie rentals that Brandon’s family is interested in watching.
Number of internet video rentals
Willingness to pay each rental
1st movie rental
2nd movie rental
3rd movie rental
4th movie rental
5th movie rental
6th movie rental
7th movie rental
8th movie rental
a. If the price ofthe price of each movie rental from Xanadu is $3, how many movie rentals will Brandon buy and how much consumer surplus does Brandon receive? Explain your answer.
b. If the price of the price of each movie rental from Xanadu is $5, how many movie rentals will Brandon buy and how much consumer surplus does Brandon receive? Explain your answer.
c. If the Xanadu online service offers as many movie rentals as the customer wants to download, all for on-time yearly subscription fee of $25.00, how many movie rentals will Brandon download and how much consumer surplus will Brandon receive? Explain your answer.
d. If the Xanadu online service offers as many movie rentals as the customer wants to download, all for on-time yearly subscription fee of $35.00, how many movie rentals will Brandon download and how much consumer surplus will Brandon receive? Explain your answer.
e. If the Xanadu’s market research showed that Brandon’s demand represented what most of Xanadu’s customers wanted, what would be the most that Xanadu could charge as a one-time annual fee for all the downloads that the customer wanted?
4. Newspaper vending machines are designed so that once you have paid for one paper; you have access to all the papers in the machine and could take multiple papers at a time. However, other vending machines dispense only one item (the item you bought). You do not have access to all the goods (sodas, candy, snacks, etc.) at one time. Using the concept of marginal utility, explain why these vending machines differ?
Unit 5 Assignment: Elasticity of Demand and Consumer SurplusGrading Rubric:
Correct coversheet information at the top of 1st page
APA format for answers
Standard English, no errors
At least one, or more, references
Answers: provides complete information demonstrating analysis and critical thinking:
1. a. – Calculate price elasticity of demand ($10-$20), Explain.
1. b. – Calculate price elasticity of demand ($70-$80), Explain.
1. c. – Why do these Dpe estimates change at various prices?
2. a. Is utility maximized at 3rd music and 2nd video? Explain.
2. b. Is utility maximized at 3rd music and 3rd video? Explain.
2. c. Is utility maximized at 2nd music and 3rd video? Explain.
2. d. Is utility maximized at 4th music and 2nd video? Explain.
3.a. Brandon’s numberof video rentals and Consumer Surplus at $3/rental.
3.b. Brandon’s number of video rentals and Consumer Surplus at $5/rental.
3.c. Brandon’s number of video rentals and Consumer Surplus at $25 subscription price.
3.d. Brandon’s numberof video rentals and Consumer Surplus at $35 subscription price.
3.e. Xanadu’s maximum subscription price.
4. – What are the differences between newspaper and snack vending machines (considering utility)?
Sub-total for Individual Questions:
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more